Saturday, May 24, 2008

Simple and Easy method to make Tofu Hua (豆花)

I love tofu. I pretty much love everything made of Tofu. However, I don't really like Tofu in the soup, not sure why.

Back home Malaysia, fresh soymilk and Tofu Hua (豆花) can easily be found. Tofu Hua --豆花 or 豆腐花 is a type of Chinese dessert made with soymilk, the texture of the tofu hua is very soft and silken. Some people might call it as Tofu Pudding.






Yesterday, I was craving for Tofu Hua so much, here in US is not like I can walk down to the street to get a bowl of tofu hua. Therefore, I decided to make my own. I am sure the method that I use is not how people makeit in the old days. Hey, as long as the taste and texture close to the real tofu hua, I will be fine :)

I seriously not sure how to start at first. I kinda compare the texture of the tofu hua with the texture of the Panna Cotta (one of my fav. desserts), so I told myself, seem they both have a very similiar texture, I should use the panna cotta recipe and make my tofu hua.

This is how I made my tofu hua yesterday evening:

Ingredients:
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
3 cups of unsweeten soymilk
1/3 cup of sugar (or less) (skip or use less sugar if using sugar added soy milk)


1) Pour 1/3 of the soymilk in bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin.

2) In a sauce pan, put the remaining soymilk and sugar and place over medium heat.

3) Cook until sugar dissolve. Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off the heat.

4) Stir in the gelatin in the warm soymilk.

5) Pour the warm soymilk into a bowl. Let it cool at the room temperature, after that cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours.

Depends on which part of the Malaysia you from, I am from the southern part of Malaysia, we eat tofu hua with soymilk and ginger sugar syrup. Central or northern part of Malaysia, they served tofu hua with brown sugar syrup.

I have to say I love our southern way of eating tofu hua. Nice and delicious!!!

Leena's tips: 1 envelope = 7 gram or 2 teaspoon. This tofu hua is not a traditional type of tofu hua but taste wise very close. However, you can only eat this Tofu hua in cold not hot.


5 comments:

Jo said...

you know, I am very tempted to follow your recipes on the kaya, bak chang, and taufoo fah! But then, I realised these are so easily bought over here... ok, practicality still rules the day. hahaha..

I didn't realise it is so easy to make taufoo fah wor... :)

btw, I love bak chang a lot.. esp the ones with salted eggs and chestnuts and belly pork and some beans.. I don't know if that is called nyonya bakchang.

Leena said...

Hi Jomel
I live in a small little town that located middle of no where. So sometimes when I craving for Malaysia food, I just try to be creative and make the dishes taste as close as the one in Malaysia.

I like bak chang too, last time when I went home, I ate 3 in a roll.

The Nyona chang, I think the filling part is more all gorund up. The chang you mention just a regualr chang.

One good thing about making your own, you control and know what goes in the dishes you make.

Bak chang definately very time consuming. In fact that was the first time I made bak chang ;)

羽翔妈 said...

leena好厉害,自己会做豆花。
我94年去过四川,第一次在都江堰那里尝到了咸豆花。哇~~那里的豆花真的是很好吃啊!

Anonymous said...

how many grams is one packet of gelatin?

mil0chel said...

Hi, I've been googling on how to make tau fu fah for days now, and I didn't want to use the gypsum powder.

I'll try using with gelatin later.

Btw, I tink one envelope is one tablespoon :)